To Mark Kraft and others interested:

I am 57, I play the piano, and I have Parkinson's disease.  So I
thought I'd respond to your message.

You expressed a concern about L-Dopa.  Your mother is relatively
young, and Parkinson's medications are generally well tolerated by
people our age.  I take the three basic medicines: Sinemet CR
(controlled release), Eldepryl, and Permax (a dopamine agonist
which decreases the need for Sinemet) with minimal side-effects -
swollen feet is the most pronounced one in my case.  As a result I
am able to continue working full-time at a relatively stressful
job in the computer field.  When the medicines are working to
their fullest extent, no one who saw me would know that I have
Parkinson's disease.

Of course the disease progresses.  Also, it is different in its
progress and symptoms for different people.  One thing that gives
me hope in the face of this fact is that there is considerable
research in new medicines, not only for symptomatic relief, but
also neuroprotection and neuron repair.  Sinemet CR is the best
medicine today, but it is now supplemented by Permax, and in a
short time there will be other, better pills to take.

Aside from the pills, how to cope?  People usually take one or
more of three approaches, depending on their inclinations.  One
way is to obtain support from other people in the same situation.
The listserv is good for this, as are some support groups and
organizations.  I believe there is a quite active young
Parkinson's disease organization in California.  57 is young.

A second way is through learning about the disease.  Some people
with PD have become experts in the disease and know more about it
than the average neurologist.  For such people, understanding is
a way of taking control or feeling in control.

A third way is by taking action.  The most prominent action group
is the Parkinson's Action Network (PAN), which is currently
engaged in getting Senators and Congressmen/women to support and
pass the Udall Bill.

Your mother sounds depressed, and something needs to be done about
that - either counseling or medicine or both.  (Has there ever
been depression prior to the PD?)  Some improvement in symptoms
(don't fear the medicine) or some steps taken in any of the coping
modes should also yield improvements in morale.

Improvement in physical capability is definitely possible,
although your mother may not regain all her former capabilities.
I seem to recall a fellow (I forgot his name, but someone on the
listserv will have heard of him) who was confined by PD to a
wheelchair and who decided to get up and become a runner, which he
then proceeded to do.

If the fingers on one hand don't work so well just now, one can
start by playing pieces for one hand.  If the fingers on both
hands don't work so well, one can play slow pieces or note
clusters.  Or teach music, or write about it.  I developed some
shoulder pain which lasted for several months, during which I
spent lots of time schmoozing on the piano listserv and the
rec.music.classical and rec.music.makers.piano newsgroups, and I
wrote a FAQ on playing the piano from memory (see via
http://web.mit.edu/isako/www/rmmp-faq.html).  It was finally
determined that the cause of the pain was not tendinitis, which
everyone thought at first, but Parkinson's.  As my medicine was
increased the pain decreased.  So now I'm playing the piano more,
and I have been expanding my repertoire.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.  Best wishes,

Phil