---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:39:16 EST
From: MR DON SCHREIBER <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Death of Parkinson's Caregiver

Dear Barbara:  My name is Don Schreiber and my mom, Sadie, has
advanced Parkinsons.  She is 75.  My dad, Frank, passed away on Nov.
4 after a short illness.  He was mom's primary caregiver.  I live 400
miles away.  My sister is  in Las Cruces, NM, where mom is, but has
two small children and a doctor husband and a demanding schedule.  So
we lost our Dad and now are facing mom's care.  We have some
resources, and have 24 hr. care with mom now in her home.  She was
scheduled for a pallindotomy, and had been thru all the tests and was
to be fitted for a frame on July 26 with Dr. Dogali in Orange, CA
when she refused the surgery and said she would "come back later". I
have tried to keep the surgery open, now scheduled to be completed on
Nov. 28th, but mom has said no.  She can't face being without
medicine while the procedure is being done  which  can be several
hours.  Of course the doctor won't proceed further with mom saying
"No".  What the point of all of this is, I don't know.  I just feel a
great dilemma; wanting the best for mom, marshalling avaliable
resources, trying to conduct our own lives.  So many people must be
in this same shape, or worse, and I never knew.  Mom has
diskenesia(sp) and can't take anti-depressives, I guess.  But she is
so depressed, and is not going anywhere with her Parkinson's anyway,
so why not give her something to make her feel better?  Is
Parkinson's painful?  Or just limiting in motion?  She complains of
great pain.  I can't tell if it's just depression.  Any comments or
help would be appreciated.  I subscribed to the discussion group, and
am anxious to see what that brings. Don