My father was placed on a gastro-tube with continuous feeding via pump.
Because swallowing had become impossible, tube feeding was elected to prevent
starvation.  Daddy's saliva was thick like Elmer's glue and we had to suction
the pooled saliva about every 2 hours to prevent it from settling in his
lungs and causing pneumonia.  He was able to enjoy sips of liquids and from
time to time a lollipop but no solid foods.  There was concern about the
gastro tube site - it must be kept clean and sterile to prevent staph
infection.  All this is frightening and I would recommend only if pureed food
is not tolerated.  ByByBetty - Phoenix, AZ