Debra,
will help but I'll try.  I have a buddy (30+ years) who has ALS, or Lou Gehrig's
disease.  Steve has a feeding tube in his stomach and can't move anything
voluntarily except for his eyes.  Looking toward you is "yes", away is "no."  He
needs a ventilator to breathe.  His food is liquified and pushed down the tube.
 A class of youngsters visited him the other day and, as kids will do, asked
questions that adults are fearful of asking.  One question was whether he was
afraid of dying.  His response, yes, because he'd miss his family and friends.
Steve'e attitude is marvelous.  The tube is just a fact of life and doesn't
cause him any problems.  He does, however, miss chewing and tasting food.  The
tube gives no discomfort.  Steve prefers the tube to the alternative as
evidenced by his desired to hang around.  If you mother-in-law will still be
able to eat she should be just fine.

Jeff Jones
My ladies' gentleman

<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->