Saturday, November 18th

Dear Sirs:

I was disappointed by and wish to protest your  use of the word
"inconvenient" in describing Parkinson's disease in your evening news of
Thursday, November 16th, in connection with Attorney General Janet Reno's
disclosure that she has that disorder.  I think it is an unfortunate and
misleading choice of words to describe any neuro-degenerative disorder such
as Parkinson's disease as "inconvenient" merely because it is in the early
stages.

I am 50 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease four years ago
at age 46.  While I am fortunate enough to still be in the early phase of the
disease and while my symptoms are not dramatically noticeable to a casual
observer (or at least I like to think they aren't), I DO have a number of
symptoms which have permeated and irrevocably changed my life.  (If you are
interested, contact me and I  will share with you a list of the more than
twenty physiological symptoms that affect me).  It is like a dark, dark cloud
looming on my horizon, with the rain having just begun and knowing it will
only get worse.  It is with me every moment of the day and night, weakening
me, slowing me down, diminishing me.  I take a plethora of prescribed
medications and massive doses of vitamins in an attempt to stave off the
progression, but I know that it is inexorable.

You should use Attorney General Reno's brave and admirable disclosure as an
opportunity to do some in depth reporting on Parkinson's disease and other
neuro-degenerative disorders and to educate the public on these devastating
disorders.  It is mis-education and mis-informing to use the term
"inconvenient" to refer to a disease which is progressive and becomes
disabling.  It would be like saying that the early stage of an inoperative,
untreatable cancer is "inconvenient".  I suggest you check with Mo Udall and
discover the degree to which he has been "inconvenienced".

There are a number of exciting and promising avenues of research moving
forward in attempting to find better therapies and even a cure for these
disorders, such as, among others, "neurotrophic factors" which may be able to
repair defective neurons or generate new neurons in the affected areas.  Or
genetically engineered and/or replicated neuronal cells which can be grown
and then implanted (as opposed to fetal tissue) in the patient's brain.
 There is hope, even excitement, about the prospect that there WIILL be major
breakthroughs and even cures for these devastating afflictions in the next
five to ten years.

Why not look into these stories?  They are news.  And use Janet Reno's
courageous announcement as the framework within which to inform and educate
the public about Parkinson's disease and other neuro-denerative disorders.

                             Sincerely,

                                 Larry Allen
                                  Seattle, WA