This is a lengthy opinionated response to Zippo Bilbrok's message captioned "
Re: What is end-stage PD?"dated: 95-11-20. I support looking at the worst
possibility, then hoping for the best:

Good point (With the fear of looking at end-stage PD being expressed, this is
probably he time to ask, is it for everyone? )! True, allot of people tend to
lump all PD together and  it ain't necessarily so . But as far as the press
is concerned, their reports of  PD as  a mere inconvenience, or their reports
of PD as a curiosity for the public's entertainment are misleading for all
affected Think about it, they don't show joyful "quick-fixes" for most other
serious diseases Although the coverage is good, we should encourage
better.The recent shows of pallidotomy success tend to shpw the patient only
as someone who sufferred tremor (the general public doesn't get the impact of
what tremor &  the rest of PD  can  REALLY encompass)  and was suddenly
relieved -- jjumping  for joy! "That's it Mr. & Mrs. voting public.. no need
to worry about PD, no need to demand more research funding 'cause tho it's a
shame people shake - it's no biggie cause surgeons can make it disappear like
magic!"
I'm very joyful for those patients too, and grateful that they've had the
courage to go through what they have because we benefit by their courage and
by ttheir selfless sharing of ther experience. But again, the truth is
they've been through 'h - - -"  by having PD, they still face that h - - -'s
recurrance again, and they still face being  one of the unluckier unlucky
ones and be taken down one of the worst of PD's possible roads to a long
miserable death. We owe it to those before us who paid the  price of horrific
torture of PD without today's meds, and we owe it to those of us who will yet
be chosen to end up as one of the unluckier ones, to act with the sense of
urgency that only fear gives - we need to take action as though we are sared
sh - - less. To push insistently through legislation and through public
support for better treatment, to give help to our caregivers, to help our
doctors learn to take PD seriously, to better the odds that we or our loved
ones will not  be picked to be the unluckier of the ulucky with PD.
I beleve that  knowledge begets responsibility. We didn't "choose" to have
neurological problems, but  we got 'em. And no one REALLY knows how tough it
can be unless you end up going through it, or worse yet end up watching
helplessly as someone you truly love goes through it. We shouldn't turn away
from the worst possibilitires, we  should fight to end it. Because it is
something to fear. The public needs to know it might happen to them. They
must learn that the freaky tremor is not the worst we face. You can bet your
bippy hat some poor fool who doesn't tihink PD is a bigee, someone who isn't
afraid of it & won't help us stop it,  ends up being another one of the
unluckier unlucky ones who get PD and get it hard.  Someone before us, with
less help, got scared and fought  PD. Now we benefit from their having faced
it and fought it  the best  they could.  Now if we're not scared, we should
be, if not for oourselves then for the innocent yet to get PD - we should
filght like we're scared - in honor of those before us. ( I'll get off the
soap box now.)

mhd