gentle reader - peace and leftover stuffing to all of you.  I have some
concerns and issues, some of which I am sure many members of  our group would
be interested in seeing responded to and some of which possibly you could
respond to me offlist.   I am faced with what  I am sure is one of the major
phases of our disease - going off job and on to Long Term Disability.

As I suspect may be the case with many of our group, this option may not be
that optional by the time it is discussed with our employers due to our/my
declining ability to produce in an ever increasingly downsized and rapid turn
around world.  Couple to that my own personality which is as you have seen in
my postings almost always upbeat, brash and comic and you get a culture clash
sort of event.  In my case the real root problem and dilemma is my sleeper
module checked out of my body about 18 - 24 months ago and it has been hell
trying to ever get  to work on time at anytime since then.   Add to that an
upbeat personality and you have corporate oil and personal water because the
msg seems to read to my current mgmt "this boy ain't toting water the way we
 told him too AND, being kind of uppety ...he's laffing about it too"

At any rate, the choices facing me now seem to be to "accept" an LTD package
and scurry forth to be seen no more or engage the enemy in a rather white
knuckle, risky type threat/negotiation phase that might end in a legal
confrontation.   Downsides to the 2nd approach being the fact my company is
still actively engaged in downsizing so other foxholes are increasingly
harder to find, my current situation is rather exacerbated by my boss' and my
inability to come up with a reasonable mutually agreed upon work schedule to
accommodate my zombie morning state and finally a feeling of general malaise
on my part which I attribute as part of our disease (but could be a personal
"laziness").  I never did the  jump up on the desk and sing the corporate
song routine very well and now the feeling from deep inside me seems to be
more of the "in 100 years what will any of this matter?" kind of feeling.

So, that stage being set, bottom line - here are my questions I'd like you to
entertain, suggest possible paths, slap me up the side of my head if you
think that I'm jiving you:

1. in this world  of downsizing and rapid response service em til you drop
mentality, do you think the risk is worth the possible gain to even think
about going ADA assertive in a case like this?  My possible winnings being a
couple more full earnings years, then greatly reduced earnings (earliest
retirement pension vs. 60% of current income LTD)  but a paid up med plan IF
IF IF I can struggle til the magic age of 55 (I am 51 now so it is not a
cakewalk even if I get over the falls in the current battle).  My possible
losings are the 60% of current income LTD til 65 and a small pension after
that but no permanent med policy. if my boss chooses to "eliminate" my
position and then "eliminate" me - which there are rumblings he might do -
sound familiar?
2. does leaving employment now on an LTD mean just that or am I going to have
to defend my LTD status every 6 - 12 months in the future to ensure I am not
suddenly deemed "certifiably workable" still having Parkinsons, with no job
anywhere to return to and LTD benefits terminated?
3 (this is actually part b of question 2) - does LTD mean you have lost the
right to any small odd jobbing or part time work in the fear of losing your
LTD status and stipend?.   Does it mean engaging in "cash economy" tactics
more frequently?  Bottom line here being does attaching a W-2 form to your
taxes after you have taken LTD mean the kiss of death?
4.are there other med plans (esp supplementary drug cost plans) that might be
worth my looking into at this time.  Other concerns you have of this nature
but not expressed by me would be welcome too
5 finally, any advice you deem appropriate to my case (taking me to task is
acceptable too.  I have tender little feelings like we all do but if you
think I need a good keelhauling and fresh perspective - haul away)

I realize the length of this post, I appreciate your reading it and look
forward to your list or offlist advice.   I also understand, especially from
some of the heart wrenching personal stories I have read on this list, that
there are far more frightening and serious matters still to be encountered by
me and other young Parkinsonians in upcoming phases of our disease.
 Acceptance, acceptance, acceptance... it is a humbling act. However, I think
this issue might be one of concern to many on the list and some good may come
of discussing this in a general way.

thx, folks
Brother Rat (who didn't have thanksgiving at his place and thus is not
troubled by a refrigerator groaning with leftovers to be consumed or else!)