I read with great interest the messages from Betti Adams and Allan Netick. I
agree with the feeling expressed by both of them.  The dilemma that I experience
is that Janet Reno is just in the initial phase of accepting the status and
is undoubtedly experiencing what most of us have, namely, shock, disbelief and
fear.  This gets handled by a lot of denial.  So taking these messages directly
to her requires that she begin to confront the reality of the disease that
she is not ready for.  That may not be the best tactic.
        At the same time, she is a high profile public official who bears some
public responsibility here for properly educating the public.  I suspect that
it is the people around her that are sanitizing the messages, as Betti
indicates.
        My own view is to do several things at the same time. (1) invite her to
join us on the network, (2) send her the messages with a cover note telling
her that you feel as a public official that she should inform herself about the
nature of the disease and begin to set the record straight. (Here would be
a good time to stimulate a set of stories of public figures who have had
PD--Udall, Billy Graham, Katherine Hepburn), (3) each of us use the announcement
as a time to write a letter to the editor of our local newspaper making the
points that Betty and Allan make.
        We need her as an ally.  Let's figure out how to recruit her to the
movement.
        Bob Newbrough