We've been thinking about the various angles presented in a number of
posts here about how to approach Ms Reno about her PD. Peter and I feel
that it is important to recognize the point made by (someone??) about
her feelings , which must echo those of all of us when learning of this
Dx, and not expect her to rush to the ramparts at once to defend the Udall bill
or advocate for all of us. Perhaps it would be wise to write her (snail mail)
and recognize her situation, as a newly diagnosed high-profile person, who is
still struggling to accept her new life as a Parkie, but also has to keep
up her image as a competent,tough,Atty.General.  Again, I remember the response
s we got when we wrote Billy Graham, who apparently, though he "admits" having
PD, rejects being a public spokesperson for the PD community.  Could we
"welcome" her to our supportive group, letting her know we share and understand
 her feelings and appreciate the bind she's in? Let's tell her about this list
and encourage her to learn all she can about our shared condition, and hope she
will come to a point when she can be an advocate, for herself and for us.
It's a delicate balance--recognizing the present needs of her post, while
looking down the road at a future that is less than rosy. Admonishing the
media is one thing, but not a productive or empathetic approach with her.
We'reworking on a letter, and hope others will also. After all, she's in a simi
lar position to the people on this list who wonder what effect PD will have on
their jobs! Let's congratulate her for her courage in speaking up!
Camilla (CG)&Peter Flintermann (76/6) Oxford,OH