Dear P.Schark:

. I'm a caregiver not a PD patient so I can't know how it feels to be in your
shoes but I have a working knowledge. You bring up 2 different issues  : (1)
when to retire/go out on disability and (2) the conservative treatment of PD.
After reading some of the other responses I may be isolated in my viewpoint
but here it is anyway. Personally I think you should work as long as you can
not only to protect your retirement benefits but to keep a good quality of
life mentally. Sure, you can find mentally challenging things to do in
retirement and we all have to realize our lifestyles will change someday when
we each retire, but it won't be the same and the change is not reversible
once you take the step. Of course if you continue to work there will come a
time when you wonder about the quality of your work and whether anyone else
is wondering too. Maybe you feel you're at that point now. So ultimately the
decision to retire can only be yours based on all of these considerations an
more.

Regarding treatment, I've known a lot of PD Drs. over these 3 decades and I
felt some were just experimenting because they really had/have so few answers
up their sleeves on how to treat PD. However, the trap you don't want to fall
into is to only listen to Drs. who tell you what you want to hear. Some
responders to your post make it sound like you should discard a doc if he/she
doesn't see things your way. Certainly you can and should get 2nd opinions
but I don't think there's anything wrong with a Dr. who treats this disease
conservatively, and it was an M.D. PD patient who brought me to this
viewpoint;  why?...because in terms of L-DOPA, there's no turning back once
you are into it cause there's no alternative for the "everyday PD patient"
who isn't at the pallidotomy crossroads and because the drug ultimately turns
against you with its increasingly uncontrollable side effects.  If you're
able to stay on Symmetrel as long as possible, for example, it's not too
difficult to take drug holidays, but once you're on Sinemet its harder to do.
(For this I feel sorry for Janet Reno if Sinemet is the drug they put her on
right away just to stop her newly discovered tremor. She may be trading the
conservative approach for the appearance of normalcy in the public eye). I
think your Dr. sounds pretty sensible at face value. There are many people,
including Drs., who think Eldepryl may not slow the disease and that
melatonin may be contraindicated.. There aren't too many answers for this
disease right now that don't have a catch to them. Hats off to the Dr. who
has the courage to lay out his/her concerns to you whether it's what you want
to hear or not.

In conclusion, once you've made the decision about retirement, then you have
to find a Dr. who helps you with the disability paperwork so you might have
to shop around.

Good luck with your decision. At least you have found a lot of people here
with an opinion for you.

Delana Vaughan
51y(CG 33y)