As far as I know, there is no relationship at all
between melatonin, melanin, and race. (They sound
similar, though.)
Melatonin is a hormone that comes from the pineal
gland. It tells your body that it is nightime. The secretions
decrease with age, however, which is why older people
don't sleep as well. Supplements are now available in health
food stores. (Caution- if you have PD, consult your doctor
before trying, to make sure it won't interact with your
prescription drugs. Speaking of which, I bought a store
brand of Robitussin DM cough suppressant/expectorant.
It says NOT to take it with MAO inhibitors, which include
certain PD drugs.)
Melanin is a skin pigment. Black people have more than
Caucasians. Melanin does not come from the pineal gland.
                                                          -Bill