I have made it a point to inform my superiors and Human Resources at work. I
work for a very large company with established policies & reasonable health
insurance. I learned that our HR director has experience with PD (a
relative). She has been extremely helpful  in explaining policies, advising
on strategies, etc. I am pretty high up in management myself, so I only have
to worry about a couple of layers above me, of whom some are long standing
personal friends, so I knew I'd be safe. I also figure I'm safer from
criticism etc. if it's out in the open. I have let my clients know too, as
appropriate.

This is just my experience. One has to consider one's own employer's likely
reactions and caution may be proper.