You wrote:

>Has any of you, with Parkinson, tryed Chelation Therapy. I received
some
>information on this subject and like to share it with you.
>
>Although used successfully for over 30 years, Chelation is still a
>controversial therapy and considered experimental by " mainstream"
medicine.
>Chelation is the intravenous treatment of heavy metal accumulation in
the
>body that is the cause of many health problems. These include
hardening of
>the coronary arteries, leg circulation problems and strokes, so called
>auto-immune diseases as rheumatism, neuro-degenarative diseases as
neuritis
>and other diseases that plague modern mankind. Metals (mercury, lead,
>cadmium, arsenic, to name a few) act to trigger the formation of "free
>radicals" producing damage in our bodies. By removing heavy metals,
free
>radical damage is significantly reduced or reversed.
>
>If you have taken this therapy, did you experience any improvements in
your
>health and/or relief from your PD symptons? I would like to hear from
you,
>by sending your reply to:
>
>Regards, Fred
>
>Fred Zwartjes

Chelation therapy is useful only in the treatment of (massive) heavy
metal poisoning such as lead poisoning.  Even then, its use has been
essentially abandoned in mainstream medicine because the very act of
chelation (binding the toxic metal and releasing it into the
bloodstream for excretion) can, and does cause worsening of the toxic
effects.  Little babies, who have been chronically lead-poisoned from
eating flaking lead paint, when given chelating agents, often suffer
acute swelling of the brain from sudden release of the lead "burden".
Even true heavy metal poisoning (such as the recent celebrated Internet
case, in China, of the young woman with thallium poisoning) today is
treated with kidney dialysis for removal of the heavy metals.

The "free radical" theory has been around for decades and has never
been shown to be associated with *any* diseases.

IMHO, the only value of chelation therapy today is for the bank
accounts of its promulgators.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"