Susan, I think I'd recommend that students do a certain percentage [like,
all :)] of writing that gets used by others -- kids could write things
like procedures for checking books out of the class library, instructions
for the care & feeding of the class pets, whatever.

I'd also recommend that schools throw out the reading textbooks in the
early grades (my kids are using a particularly hideous "literature-based"
series by HBJ at the moment -- it contains the complete text of kids'
books which have been published elsewhere, and on the "cover" page for
each story, there's a picture of some hands actually _holding the real
are "literature," eh???) and use story books instead.

Marcy
Marcy Bauman
Writing Program
University of Michigan-Dearborn