Here I sit in my office on a cold December morning trying to find an answer
to a question.   "What can a provincial dept of ed do to raise the literacy
level in the early years of school"?  Now that the question is no longer
rhetorical, I find I am at a loss for words.

 I can imagine all kinds of policies/plans one could put into place in the
public school system to raise the level of literacy, but I don't really
know what is actually "do-able". So, I ask for your help.

   Imagine that the Minister of Education of your province has asked you
what should be done in the provincial school system to raise the level of
literacy for all students; but, in particular, the early years of school.
What advice would you give her?