For what it is worth, my experience with the Ministry of Education
here is that if I am telling them to do something that isn't more or
less what they already want to do, I need rhetorical leverage.  At
best, I have obtained this (i.e., managed to get their attention and
motivate them) by a combination of getting an article in the
newspaper (+ a couple of radio spots) and going over their heads to
the political level of the Ministry (i.e., managing to talk to
someone who had the Minister's ear).  This strategy requires the
ability to write a press release (one which takes into account what
motivates journalists) and find a political connection.