I agree completely.

Of course any extrinsic reward program has its problems.  At my kids'
school, the kids were rewarded for racking up family reading
points--they got $1.00 of play money for every 20 minutes spent
reading aloud; it was up to them whether they read to or were read to
by a parent.  They got to spend the money on, guess what--books.  Not
a bad idea.  Of course, when the program was over, I trotted out the
nightly book and one daugher said, "What do I need that for?  The
reading program is over."  Can't win 'em all, I guess.  But
fortunately the attitude wore off rapidly.