Delana writes:

>>The free radical theory has clearly been shown to be associated with
the
induction of somatic mutations in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) leading to
impairment of the functional reserve of tissues heavily dependent on
oxidative phosphorylation[OXPHOS] (brain, heart, muscle, etc.) . The
end
result has been a negative impact on progressive degenerative diseases
of the
brain (PD, Alzheimer's)<<

[snip]

I think that the point that I was trying to make was that the "free
radical" theory has been around for decades.  It was used to explain
cancer and other diseases when I was in medical school (in the
sixties); and, while molecular biology people are apparently showing
some data concerning such recently (thank you for the citations, I will
check them out), this approach is not yet developed to the point where
there are practical considerations for people suffering from clinical
illness.  There are a lot of charlatans out there, advertising vitamins
and other substances supposedly designed to treat "free radicals", and
a lot of patients (IMHO) are being bilked of their resources and given
false hope.  Anyone, of course, is free to choose their treatment, but,
like my comments on pallidotomy many months ago, such approaches should
be treated with caution.

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"