Ron,

I definitely concur with your advise to continue playing the piano. Although
music is a hobby rather than a profession, I directed church choirs for 15
years until this year. I am currently the Minister of Music for the Sixth
Cavalry Division Chapel at Ft. Meade, MD. (Yes, we often have to assure people
that it is Cavalry Chapel, not Calvary!) What is ironic is that I started
directing about the same time the earliest symptoms of PD appeared (which were
misdiagnosed as arthritis).

The earliest impact of PD was on my guitar playing. I found it more and more
difficult to play and had almost given it up by the time I was diagnosed with
PD. Thanks to my medication I have been able to play to this day. I am even
learning to play the keyboard.

During the first 15 minutes of our service we have a Worship Team of singers
and musicians that leads the congregation in praise and worship songs.  We
just started this this year. Since we had a couple of excellent guitarists but
no drummer I became the rhythm section. I figured I could shake a tambourine
with the best of them!

I am learning to play the keyboard, not so much for performing but for an aid
to composing music. This is another interesting development. About three years
ago I started composing music and have now composed about 40 songs, including
an Easter Cantata. Other than four years of high school band I have had no
formal musical training. I don't know if this sudden outpouring of musical
creativity is due to the PD or the medication or is entirely coincidental.
Perhaps there are others who have had similar experiences.

A copy of my cantata is on my home page (see end). The music is in MIDI format
and requires a sound card and MIDI driver to play on the computer. The
narration is ASCII text. If any choir wants to perform it I will provide a
camera-ready copy along with a letter granting permission to make so many
copies. All I request in return is a voluntary suggested contribution of 50
cents per copy to cover my expenses and a copy of any recording (audio or
video) made of the performance.

Bruce
54/8
Sinemet CR 25/250 1.5 tabs 4X
Pramipexole 1.5mg 3X
Neuro: Dr Reich, Johns Hopkins

Bruce G. Warr               "Experience is what enables us to recognize
Healthcare Informatics Lab   a mistake the next time we make it."
Information Systems Dept.
University of Maryland Baltimore County

http://umbc.edu/~warr/
(V) (410)455-3206