Date:    Sat, 2 Dec 1995 09:07:01 -0800
From:    "J.R. Bruman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 2 Year Report on Pallidotomy

Dr. Berns evidently is one of the luckiest pallidotomy recipients and his
enthusiasm is understandable. The only note of caution I can see is that
Iacono and his team don't believe that electrostimulation guidance to
navigate the probe during surgery is needed, while other teams, such as
Emory University, seem to think it is vital. Patients should do their own
research and maybe shop around before deciding.

Cheers, Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694

Joe,

I need to add a word of correction to  your above post.
Dr. Iacono does believe in and uses electrostimulation to guide the probe and
finally locate the target.  He does not believe in or practice except in rare
cases microelectrode recordings which he finds absolutely unnecessary as far as
creating the lesion.  Microelectrode recordings are interesting and helpful
academic research material but hardly worth putting the patient through 8-10
hours without meds and in the uncomfortable stereotactic frame.

By the way I would be most interested in more details about the research for
Parkinson's Disease going on in La Jolla.  Perhaps you could send me a private
post with as much detail as you have.  Is it tied in with Scripps or UCSD Med
Center?

Regards,
Don

Dr. Don Berns