Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 15:39:05 -0600
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Pallidotomy

In a recent e-mail you recommended an evaluation by Dr. Lang in Toronto
re a pallidotomy.  Are you aware that they also offer a pallidal brain
stimulation?  We are wondering whether the pallidal brain stimulation would
be better than the pallidotomy?  Any comparisons that you are aware of
would be appreciated?

Thank you and regards,

Dear Dan and Bev,
        I am going to answer your inquiry via the public BBS since others may be
interested.  Yes, I was aware that Toronto offered the pallidal brain stim.
However in my opinion there are few if any advantages of the stim over a
Pallidotomy.   The fact that a stim is reversible is often cited but then who
would want to reverse the benefits from a surgery.
        Furthermore there is the necessity of maintenance with a stim- batteries,
wires, connections etc.  Not to mention the placing of an unnatural and foreign
substance in your body.
        I talked recently to Carol Wilson the only stim we have done at Loma
Linda University Medical Center and asked her the question if she had it to do
over again would she opt for the Pallidotomy or the stim?  Her response was
immediate she would opt for the Pallidotomy.
        I know that others on the list have had a positive result with the stim
so I offer this as one perspective to your question.

Don

Dr. Don Berns
4943 Del Monte Rd.
La Canada, CA 91011