As caregiver to one who had thalamic stimulation surgery in June 1994, I would
like to note some of the reasons Don opted for stim surgery.

1.  His major problem was tremor.  Stim surgery had greater success with
tremor.
2.  He needed bilateral surgery.  According to the research articles he read,
negative outcomes (altered vision or speech or both) were significant for
bilateral pallidotomy, virtually nonexistent for stim.
3.  No brain tissue is destroyed in stim surgery.  If it turns out that the
parts of the brain destroyed in pallidotomy are needed (when we learn more),
the stim patient still has them.
4.  Stim surgery provided longer-lasting positive results (for those suffering
from tremor).
5.  The stimulators can be adjusted to account for PD progression (just like
adjusting meds).

True, Don is hard-wired--as are millions of folks with pacemakers.  He can't
go through metal detectors but has to be "patted down" by hand (so far only
by male members of the security team--but he keeps hoping!).

Stim surgery is not for everyone, anymore than pallidotomy is.  Those of us
who've had success with either are of course delighted with the results.
You have to do your research and in consultation with your doctor(s) decide
what's best FOR YOU.

Joanne Sandstrom