        My enthusiasm for Pallidotomy has not waned and I continue to celebrate
the life-changing effects of the bi-lateral Pallidotomy performed by Dr. Iacono
on Dec. 1, 1993.  I can only wish the same for each of you dear people out there
daily fighting  with Parkinson's Disease .  For my part in this battle I am
committed to bringing you an honest self-evaluation report every 6 months.  So
here goes in tabular form.
SYMPTOM                   BEFORE                        AFTER
1 YEAR POST-
                                     SURGERY                     SURGERY
OPT

Tremor          Severe          Gone                    Gone
Dyskinesia      Extreme         Gone                    Gone
Sweating                Excessive               Gone                    Gone
Sleep Disturbance       Great,                          Gone
Gone
                                      Awake 3-4 X
Eyelids During  Slightly Open   Closed                  Closed
Sleep
Shuffle Step    Definite                Gone                    Gone
Gait Freeze     Yes             Gone                    Gone
Sense Smell     Gone            Restored                        Restored
Aching Muscles- Definite                Gone                    Gone
Back Problems
Akinesia                Yes             Gone                    Gone
Bradykinesia    Definite                Gone                    Gone
Sexual Staying  Minimal         Unbelievably    Unbelievably    Power
Enhanced        Enhanced

Stress          Severely Affected       Totally Unaffected      Totally
Unaffected
Drooling                None            Slight          Slight
Urgency to Urinate      Definite                Gone            Gone
Dystonia                None            None            None
Voice           Weak            Strong          Greatly Improved
Speech          Affected                Normal          Much Better
Shortness of Breath     Often           Gone            Gone
Handwriting     Severely Affected       Normal          Normal
On-Off          Definite                Eliminated      Eliminated
Appetite                Gone            Restored                Restored
Stiffiness              Very Definite   Gone            Gone
Naps            2-3 hrs/day     1-2hr/2X wk.    1-2hr/2X wk.

SYMPTOM 1 1/2 YEAR POST-OPT     2 YEAR  POST OPT

Tremor          Gone                    Gone
Dyskinesia      Gone                    Gone
Sweating                Gone                    Gone
Sleep Disturbance       Gone                    Gone
Eyelids During  Closed                  Closed
Sleep
Shuffle Step    Gone                    Gone
Gait Freeze     Gone                    Gone
Sense Smell     Restored                        Restored
Aching Muscles- Gone                    Gone
Back Problems
Akinesia                Gone                    Gone
Bradykinesia    Slight                  Slight
Sexual Staying  Unbelievably Enhanced   Unbelievably Enhanced
Power
Stress          Totally Unaffected              Totally Unaffected
Drooling                Slight                  Occasional
Urgency to Urinate      Slight                  Occasional
Dystonia                None                    None
Voice           Definitely Improved             Definitely Improved
Speech          Better                  Better
Shortness of Breath     Gone                    Gone
Handwriting     Normal                  Normal
On-Off          Eliminated              Eliminated
Appetite                Restored                        Restored
Stiffiness              Gone                    Gone
Naps            1-2hr/2X wk.            1-2hr/2X wk.

MEDICINE SCHEDULE

                Sinemet
                CR50-200        Sinemet 25-100  Eldepryl        Amantdne

PRE-OPT         3.5             1               2       3

                                Sinemet 10-100
POST-OPT        3.5             .5              1       1
6 MO. POST-OPT  3.5             .5              1       1
1 YR. POST-OPT  4               .5              1       1
1 1/2 YR.POST-OPT       4               .5              .5      1

2 YR. POST-OPT  4               1               .5      1
                Permax  Zoloft          Hydergine
                .5mg    50 mg
PRE-OPT         4       1

POST-OPT        1.5     1
6 MO. POST-OPT  1.5     1               4
1 YR. POST-OPT  1.5     1               4
1 1/2 YR.POST-OPT       1.5     1               4
2 YR. POST-OPT  1.5     1               4

        Since my surgery I have continued goIng out to Loma Linda every Tuesday
to assist Dr. Iacono in whatever way possible. I have seen literally hundreds of
patients pass through the doors of Loma Linda many of whom have elected to have
a unilateral Pallidotomy, a bilateral Pallidotomy or a combination
Pallidotomy/Thalamotomy.  Conservatively 85% of these patients have a good
result ranging from a C+ to an A+.  10-12% receive minimal help, but no harm is
done, and 3-5% have some sort of complication usually a result of bleeding.  NO
ONE  has died as the result of this surgery or attendant complications.
                These statistics are amazing and will in time be published and
validated.  IN THE MEANTIME I APPEAL TO THOSE OF YOU OUT THERE IN THE MEDICAL
COMMUNITY TO QUIT YOUR PETTY INFIGHTING, TURF BATTLES, AND PROFESSIONAL
JEALOUSIES.  PUT THEM ASIDE FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE PATIENTS YOU SERVE, LET LOVE
AND COMPASSION RULE THE DAY AND LET S JOIN TOGETHER IN EMBRACING THIS SURGICAL
PROCEDURE THAT OFFERS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF PARKINSON S A VERY
REAL HOPE FOR REVERSING THIS RUTHLESS DISEASE.
                To any neurosurgeons, who are sincerely interested in learning
this procedure,  I would invite you to come out, visit clinic and observe Dr
Iacono operating as increasing numbers of neurosurgeons are doing.  Learn to do
the procedure using MRI scan, brain maps, ventriculographs and a thermocouple
radiofrequency lesion probe in less than three hours without tedious
micro-electrode recordings which add many hours to the surgery and nothing to
the results.
                Next to helping the Parkinson s patient Dr Iacono s passion is
for teaching others.  I have heard him say repeatedly  my operating room is open
to all.
                As a Parkinson s community we are working hard to provide funding
for Parkinson s research through the efforts of Joan Samuelson, PAN, and Senator
Hatfield s sponsorship of the Udall  bill.  We are seeking greater cooperation
and perhaps a uniting of the various Parkinson s National groups.  It is equally
important that within the medical community there be a whole new level of
acceptance and cooperation so that together we can truly  ease the burden and
find a cure.

LET IT BEGIN TODAY.

Dr. Don Berns
4943 Del Monte Rd.