Further reflections on Pallidotomy.
Thanks to suggestions by John Cottingham and others here are my symptoms and
medicine schedule in tabular form rather than that jumbled up mish-mash I sent
out earlier.

SYMPTOMS

                SYMPTOM     AFTER      1 YR POST-    1/2 YR      2 YR
                BEFORE      SURGERY      OPT         POST-OPT   POST-OPT
                SURGERY
Tremor         Severe       Gone       Gone          Gone       Gone
Dyskinesia  Extreme     Gone       Gone          Gone       Gone
Sweating    Excessive   Gone       Gone          Gone       Gone
Sleep           Great           Gone       Gone          Gone       Gone
Disturbance Awake
                       3-4 X

Eyelids       Slightly        Closed     Closed        Closed     Closed
During        Open
Sleep
Shuffle       Definite       Gone         Gone            Gone       Gone
Step
Gait Freeze  Yes           Gone         Gone            Gone       Gone
Sense
Smell         Gone           Restored  Restored      Restored   Restored
Aching
Muscles
Back
Problems Definite       Gone          Gone             Gone         Gone
Akinesia     Yes            Gone           Gone             Gone         Gone
Bradykinesia Definite  Gone          Gone             Slight         Slight
Sexual Staying           +++++++++++++++++++Unbelievably +++++++++
Power        Minimal    ++++++++++++++++++++++Enhanced++++++++
Stress       Severely    Totally          Totally ++++++++++++++++++++++++
                   Affected     Unaffected  Unaffected++++++++++++++++++++++
Drooling    None         Slight           Slight             Slight
Occasional
Urgency to
Urinate      Definite     Gone            Gone             Slight
Occasional
Dystonia    None        None            None             None         None
Voice          Weak        Strong          Greatly          Definitely ++++++++
                                                             Improved
Improved   ++++++++
Speech       Affected   Normal         Much Better  Better         Better
Shortness  Often        Gone            Gone             +++++++    ++++++
of Breath
Handwriting  Severely  Normal     Normal          ++++++      ++++++
                        Affected
On-Off         Definite     Eliminated  ++++++         ++++++      ++++++
Appetite      Gone         Restored    Restored       ++++++      ++++++
Stiffiness   Very            Gone           Gone               ++++++
++++++
                    Definite
Naps        2-3 hrs/day1-2hr/2X wk. 1-2hr/2X wk.   ++++++      ++++++

MEDICINE SCHEDULE

               Sinemet   Sinemet Eldepryl Amantdne Permax  Zoloft  Hydergine
                    CR         25-100                                        5mg
50 mg
                  50-200
PRE-OPT    3.5             1            2                 3              4
1
                                 Sinemet
                                 10-100
POST-OPT   3.5           .5            1                 1             1.5
1
6 MO.POST-
OPT               3.5           .5            1                 1
1.5            1          4
1YR. POST-
OPT                 4            .5            1                  1
1.5            1           4
1 1/2 YR.
POST-OPT     4            .5           .5                  1            1.5
1           4
2 YR. POST-
OPT                 4             1           .5                  1
1.5            1            4

        In further reflecting on my Pallidotomy I believe that after two years I
can make the following statements.

        The Pallidotomy intervened into my Parkinson's Disease and rebalanced the
brain given the stage it was at with regard to the dopamine and seratonin
depletion and given the medicines scheedule I was on at the time.  This in a
sense reset my Parkinson's Disease time clock back to zero.
        Since the surgery meanwhile the underlying disease has continued to
progress with the dying off of more dopamine producing cells in the substantia
nigra.  Yet because the brain was brought back into balance with so few of the
dopamine producing cells active (let s say 10 % in my case) the fact that I now
only have say 9% of my dopamine producing cells active does not affect me so
greatly because my brain was brought back into balance when there was only 10%
of the dopamine producing cells active rather than 80-100% of the dopamine
producing cells active.
        Plus I now have the luxury of taking a little more medicine when needed
without facing those dreaded dyskinesias.
        I will continue to bring you six month reports until eventually we can
answer those who  keep wanting to raise the question about long term benefits.
Many of you have heaard me say before that if the surgery had only worked at
freeing me from Parkinson's Disease for a week it would have been well worht it.
So every day beyond that is simply a bonus day a gracious gift from God to my
way of thinking.

Pallidotomingly yours,
Don

Dr. Don Berns