Dear Members,

After some six months of lurking on the list  since my diagnosois of PD,
I have gathered the courage to
participate and ask for some feedback relating to my situation.  Bye the
bye,  I have been most impre-
with the quality of the information shared on the list  between members,
and the caring and humane
atmosphere which pervades the list.  I have learned much, and have much
to learn.

The feedback I seek relates to the ambiguity of my situation.  The
context  of my situation is as follows.
I am a 45 year old diagnosed with PD in June of this year, currently
taking Eldepryl  5 mg. at 8 am. and
noon.  The PD diagnosis took place after 2 months of profound depression
for which there was no
apparent precipitant, and one which I personally felt had a chemical
basis to it.  In passing, I have 16 years experience in providing
community mental health services to the severely mentally disabled, and
consider myself somewhat capable in making this type of judgement. The
depression had no justif-
ication in the context of my life situation at that time.  Nonetheless, I
 decided I needed some medicinal
help in dealing with it, and was prescribed 60 mg. of Prozac daily.  The
depression, although not
intractable proved  difficult to treat.  After some 2 months of Prozac,
I developed several neurological
symptoms; muscle weakness right foot/leg, tremor right hand/arm, loss of
dexterity right hand, and general balance problems especially when
pivoting to the right side.  These symptoms were sufficient to alarm my
primary care physician and I was referred to a neurologist.  (In passing,
post-introduction reports on the drug Prozac contained in the PDR make
reference to the worsening of movement disorders, although these reports
are rare.  As well, I am not in a position to say with any certainty
whether PD falls into the category of movement or elsewhere).  The
neurologist, after an office examination, and a CAT scan, diagnosed PD
and I was prescribed Symmetryl 100 mg. TID.  Because of the above
mentioned coincidence of PD symptoms and Prozac, the medication for the
depression was changed.  I had a short lived success with the Symmetryl
lasting approx. 11/2 months at which point it became ineffective.  I was
then switched to Eldepryl 5 mg.BID which I continue to take up until the
present  day.  After a brief honeymoon of a couple of weeks on Eldepryl,
it is now only effective 50%
of the time, in batches of 3-5 days with no particular reason being
evident.  (My job is however, of a very high stress nature).  From my
perspective my symptoms appear to be worsening, but this is not aparent
to those who do not know me well.  The symptoms are bilateral, but still
worse on the right side.  I have difficulty being heard, as the volume of
my speech is diminished.  I occassionally have difficulty swallowing, and
experience choking in swallowing fluids from time to time.  I have
difficulty negotiating
cramped spaces, especially small stairways, and frequently bump into door
jambs.  I mention these problems because I have many years experience in
the martial arts and have a certain appreciaton of
my ability to move my body.  Remaining unconvinced about my situation due
to the rapid worsening of my condition, (the diagnosing doctor had
predicted a very slow progression), I sought a second opinion.  An MRI
was performed as well as an exam by a second neurologist.  To sum the
results up briefly, the second neurologist said I had 'something', that
all other causes had been ruled out, but that he did not see enough
clinical evidence to diagnose PD (conservatism obviously surpasses the
boundaries of politics; as compared to the first opinion, this was one of
my bad days).  All of this has had for effect to keep me in 'denial', and
prevent me from dealing with the situation in earnest.  Any and all feed
back would be appreciated via this much valued 'electronic support group'.

Regards to the 1000+ members,

Brian