A recent post by J.R. Brumen giving information about apoptosis gives a
reference in
Sience. Let me add that there is also a reference to research on apoptosis
in the UPF
1995 NEWSLETTER#2, part 1,p1 and also in the UPF NEWSLETTER #3, part1,p7.
What interested me most was that there is evidence that levidopa is capable
of causing apoptotic cell death in dopaminergic neurons. It therefore is
possible that what helps the PD patient may also be that which causes the
disease progression.

On p5 of the first reference above, research is discussed which shows that
in animal data the administration of levidopa increases the free radical
production thoughout the brain, which might be a clue to its causing PD
progression, if it is shown that it does. If I were taking levidopa, I would
take adequate amounts of antioxidents for its radical scavenging effect.

---Milo
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.
Box 417
Angwin, CA 94508