I appreciated Bob Newbrough's comments regarding funding decisions.  As one
who is involved in the peer review process I can state that the process per
se is not the biggest problem.  The problem is with the entrenchment of
paradigms or world views that scientists hold - with the virtual force of a
religious conviction.  An example of a paradigm in PD research is:  Sinemet
is the gold standard for treatment.  Another could be:  MAO-B inhibitors are
valuable in limiting progression of PD.  Now, these statements have some
evidence to support them.  (NOTE: scientists never deal in proof, just
evidence)  The way science works is to hack at research WITHIN THE SCOPE OF
THE PREVAILING PARADIGM.  When a researcher has evidence to support an
alternative paradigm he or she will indeed be able to publish it, however,
when it comes to funding, a different attitude will be encountered.  Please
understand that there are few things that actually block ones research
(funds notwithstanding).  Academic freedom is rather absolute and if one has
reasonable data to support their conclusions, (and money to do the
experiments) one will almost always find some peer-reviewed journal to
publish it.  With respect to funding, the unwritten rule is that the
paradigm is king.  Period.  In political terms this translates into (in the
minds of a funding agency) the view that what has gone before will be
repeatable in another laboratory so lets go with what will succeed so that
in the end the fact that we supported this research will indeed get
acknowleged when the funded investigator publishes the work we paid for.  To
fund a project that proposes to do cutting edge research carries with it at
least some risk that publications will be few and far between no matter how
reasonable the proposed science sounds.  A typical review of this sort of
project would perhaps read, in part:  " The investigator proposes to perform
a well designed series of experiments to test the interesting new hypothesis
that........(whatever).  The investigator has numerous publications, is
quite productive and is well qualfied to persue research into this area.
However, he/she has presented little in the way of preliminary data in
support of the present application.  I therefore would express reserved
enthusiasm for this project".  ............

You see....our theoretical reviewer killed this one with kindness.
......that's how research works.

The only way around this delema is to get funded to do a hack-science study
and employ some of these funds to do the cutting edge stuff.  That's how
it's done.  Slow.....real slow.  How well would you out there "do" this kind
of frustration?

Jeffrey Tosk, Ph.D. ([log in to unmask])
\associate Professor and
Director, Parkinson's Research Center