>We've seen in a couple of medical references, that burning feet can be
>one of the symptoms of diabetes. Any one have any more info on this?
>
>Betti Adams [log in to unmask]

Betti,

Burning feet in diabetes is related to a condition called diabetic
neuropathy (also called polyneuropathy, peripheral neuropathy), which is a
common long-term complication of diabetes. The nerve damage causes sensory
abnormalities that usually begin in the lower extremities--the feet are
usually the first to be affected. The symptoms vary from mild, occasional
tingling to complete numbness to an extreme burning sensation.

I've been a diabetic for 30 years, and for the last 10 years or so have
experienced all of the above symptoms of neuropathy (in my feet)--which come
and go at random. The burning, by far, is the worst. The only relief is to
plunge my feet into a bucket of ice water, and leave them there until they
are numbed by the cold. Of course, I can't feel anything after that, but at
least the burning stops!

Lucy Hartley