You wrote:

>I am writing on behalf of a nursing student who cares for a PD patient
>at home.  The lady is 86 years old and was diagnosed with PD 3 years
>ago.  She has a shuffling gait, masked facies, difficulties with
>balance, and depression.  No meds for PD have been prescribed.
>According to the student, after seeing multiple doctors in this area,
>she received ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) three times a week for 5
>weeks this summer, later reduced to once a week.  Just recently she
>was placed on thiothexene, an antipsychotic that is sometimes used for
>depression but has the side effect of inducing extrapyramidal
>symptoms.  I have grave doubts about the entire treatment regimen and
>would welcome any comments or suggestions.  Remember, I have not seen
>the lady.  Thanks.

I would be highly suspect of this treatment!  This woman needs to see a
competent neurologist and *fast*!

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"