Greetings Alan,
Your message is thoughtful and addresses some concerns that actually cross
over from PD'ers to many others. When I was pregnant with my two children I
had trouble with swelling in the extremeties and no matter how much I cut
back on salt, etc. nothing worked except for doing exactly as you say; lay
down, elevate my feet and rest (or more exactly, practice a bit of
self-hypnosis). While I can't say I was like new, I did feel better. One key
element was that I was not employed outside the home -
This brings me to my next comment regarding the fatigue you make reference
to. Many on this list are still working in a full time capacity...and still
others are working part time. In both scenarios your recommendation to lay
on the floor, etc. won't work and for those people, other remedies might be
of help. Many don't have the choice at this time (for financial reasons) of
early retirement or taking disability  particularly those with young children.
Rather than go into a long rendering of our personal situation, suffice it
to say we feel fortunate to have found some relief for Jeff's fatigue.
Conversely we feel unfortunate to have that remedy be so costly. Bottom line
is everyone has to find the best solution/remedy (for them) personally and
should not feel defeated because of the nature of that remedy. Of course the
more simple the path taken, the better. But sometimes the best way does
require 'kicking it up a notch'.
Best Regards, Lisa Carper