I'm beginning my Christmas card letters with the following paragraph.
Feel free to use it if you're so inclined.  My gut feeling is that my
legislators are tired of hearing from me and may write me off as a
fanatical crank.  I, on the other hand, feel more like a voice crying in
the wilderness.  Are any of them listening? Anyway, here it is:

"Dear Friends,

        How would you like to give a truly meaningful Christmas gift this
year at little cost and inconvenience to yourself?  Just contact (e-mail,
fax, snail-mail, or phone) your senators and Congressional rep., asking
them to co-sponsor the Morris K. Udall Research and Education Act (S.648
and H.R.1462).  This bill will help relieve the suffering of
approximately a million and a half Americans with Parkinson's.  While we
are asking for a hundred million dollars for five years (a million here,
a million there; before you know it, you're talking real money), the bill
is actually cost effective in that we cost the economy an estimated 26
billion dollars per year.  This should be appealing in an era of
downsizing and belt-tightening.  If you're willing to help out, I've
included a sample letter you may use and adapt.  God bless."

Can't hurt; might help.

Pat Schark ([log in to unmask])