During their normal foraging activities, honey bees gather and use
a sticky, resinous substance that beekeepers refer to as propolis.
For the most part, it is produced by the bark and buds of
numerous trees and shrubs in the area of the colony. The
substance is used by the bees as a varnish, cement, "caulk", and
as a strengthening additive to beewswax.

As is the case with other products of the hive, propolis has been
touted over the years with a number of uses, among which are
medically related applications, especially since it does have
demonstrated antibacterial prorperties. To quote from an article by
Richard Bonney in the November issue of "Bee Culture"
magazene:

"Claims for propolis are wideranging. It is said to be beneflcial as
an anesthetic, an antibiotic, a regenerator of tissue, an
anti-inflammatory and a wound dressing. The list of human
ailments said to have been helped is impressive. It includes
alopecia, anemia, angina, arteriosclerosis, bronchitis, cancer,
colitis, dermatitis, gastritis, halitosis, hay fever, multiple
sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, mycosis, Parkinson's disease,
psoriasis, sinusitis, tuberculosis, ulcers, varicose veins and
more. Without further information, we certainly cannot deny that
propolis might be such a panacea, but we can and should
question it."

Thought you all might find this interesting. If you'd like more info,
drop me a personal e-mail at either address below!

Jim

   "So what if I can't do 2000 things anymore -
     just think of all the extra time I have
     to do the 1799 things I still can do!"
                                            jea

[ INTERNET e-mail: ]

-or-
[log in to unmask] (for those of you who hate typing like me)