> (1) Put on record (the kind that would stand up as evidence
>       in court) my objections to early discharge from care, etc.
>       Make it clear to the HMO that the intention of the record
>       is to serve as evidence in a malpractice suit should anything
>       go wrong. (I'd probably consult a lawyer, or even ask the
>       lawyer to notify them.)
>
> (2) If an HMO administrator (non-M.D.) tells an HMO physician
>       how to practice medicine, doesn't this constitute unlicensed
>       practice of medicine? Has anyone referred such HMO

Bill's comments on HMOs leads me to ask the lawyers in the group a
question I've been anxious to get the answer to for some time now.  Here
goes:

        I have taken care of patients who are not well enough to leave
        the hospital but are being forced out by DRG guidelines.

        What are their rights in regard to this situation?  Is there
        a document that lists their rights and the rights of their
        families when this occurs?

I am quite sure that some of the participants of this list will
experience this unfortunate dilemma, and would benefit from any
information that can be posted.
-----
Happy Holidays everybody!!!!!

Mary Ann