Does anyone out there have any comments on the use of speech therapy for PD
ers?  I was diagnosed in Feb. '95 and have had positive effects on all of my
symptom from medication, exercise, vitamins, etc., except for my
deteriorating speaking ability - which is fairly crucial for earning a
living.  I have been practicing some exercises I found in a pamphlet put out
by the APDA, which has been somewhat helpful, but I could use more help.
When I really concentrate and force myself to take deep breaths, varying my
pitch, tapping my finger or foot to help slow it down, etc., I can speak so
that I am almost lucid - but I can't keep it up.  I constantly have to repeat
myself to people, and any remotely complicated comments result in folks just
staring back at me because they haven't a clue as to what I'm saying.
Telling jokes is out too.

Does it help?
Is it important to find a therapist experienced with PD, and are they hard to
find?
Would it likely be covered by insurance (believe I know the answer to this
one)?

While it may seem trivial to some, at this still early stage of my PD it
would make a difference in my life if I could fix this problem at least a
little.

B. Bruce Anderson
Long Valley, NJ