Greetings,
Vitamin E is an antioxidant and PD is believed to be, in part, the result of
oxidative stress in the nigra, HOWEVER its value is of some question.  The
so called datatop study of selegeline combined with vitamin e demonstraited
little if any benefit of the vitamin e in delaying the progression of PD.
Since at reasonable dosages vitamin e is probably non-toxic (less than 2000
units/day, higher units could be associated with toxicity to the heart) why
not take it if you think it might help.  I would be interested in a study of
the value of aspirin in PD.  (DON'T RUN OUT AND TAKE ASPIRIN.  CLINICAL
TRIALS ARE NOT CONDUCTED OVER THE NET!)  I mention aspirin because PD may
also involve a  class of cells in the brain called microglial cells.  These
cells have been noted to be engulfing damaged dopaminergic cells in the
nigra (microglia are derived from the immune system).  When they "ingest"
this sort of material they try to kill it by generating several reactive
oxygen species including hydrogen peroxide, singlet oxygen, superoxide and
hydroxyl radicals.  Unfortunatly, these chemicals are perhaps among the very
ones responsible for putting the nigra under the oxidative stress in the
first place.  The point is that when another class of cells related
immunologically to microglia make these same reactive oxygen species in our
joints, we call the condition arthritis.  Therefore my interest in aspirin.
We are about to publish a paper describing the possibility that when
microglia ingest neuromelanin during their activity in the damaged nigra,
the melanin actually increases the levels of peroxide.  Sounds like a
double-edged sword.

Jeff Tosk