Greetings;
I just finished reading the text of the Udall bill and, while the provisions
for patient care are much needed and appropriate, the distribution of
research funds, it would appear, is just a big pork barrel.  The entire
responsibility for most if not all such determinations is to be made by "The
NIH Director".  This is simply a  plan to distribute the funds among the
oldest, fatest cats in the jungle.  The Bill speaks of awards to
distinguished scientists in the field....this speaks only to the needs of
those who have been scientists the longest....not necessarily the most
creative and capable....its real pork as far as research goes.  I can easily
understand how it happened....it's innocent enough.  Mr. Udall needed advice
so he went to NIH as I believe he should have.  The problem is that he had
no choice but to accept whatever he was told.  Imagine speaking with all
these distinguished scientists....does anyone want to believe that we can't
be trusted?  Oh well.  My personal view is that until significant progress
is made we should reserve titles such as "distinguished" and the like for
some future time.  It's always seemed silly to me when people working in
cancer research receive a Nobel Prize.  That singular honor should be
reserved for the scientist who, well....you know.

Much of the text of the Bill read like words of worship to some scientific
priesthood out there.  Let them enjoy it....I've got research to do.....

Jeffrey Tosk, Ph.D. ([log in to unmask])