Dr. Tosk:

Thanks for your perspective on the Udall bill.  I've been lobbying for it
since May and have been annoyed with Nancy Kassebaum for refusing to
support it.  I wondered why, if the bill is unacceptable the way it is,
it couldn't be amended to channel more funds to research and less to
overhead.  I've begun to suspect that special interests were the culprit,
and you've verified that.

The problem is that Mark Hatfield, our staunch supporter, is retiring,
and it would be to our advantage to pass the bill before he leaves.
Also, we don't have the luxury of time.  Every day brings us closer to
loss of productivity and total dependency.  So where do we go from here?

Pat Schark