     Recently someone asked for information regarding speech therapy for
     individuals with PD.  Sorry for the delay in responding but I'd like
     to answer some of the questions and hopefully provide some useful
     suggestions.

     The "speech" disorders associated with PD are variable.  The most
     common complaints are:
        reduced loudness
        monotone
        speaking rate that is too fast or too slow
        slurred or mumbled speech

     All of these components can be addressed in speech therapy.  However,
     whether therapy will be effective or not is dependent on many
     variables including
        the type(s) of problems an individual has
        the relative contribution of each symptom
        the severity of the symptoms
        the individual's motivation

     While I am an experienced Speech-Language Pathologist with years of
     clinical research experience I am relatively new to the field of
     communication disorders associated with PD.I have been shocked by the
     lack of information and most of all the lack of referrals for speech
     language therapy for patients with PD

     IF YOUR COMMUNICATION IS BEING AFFECTED BY PD, A REFERRAL FOR A
     SPEECH-LANGUAGE EVALUATION IS APPROPRIATE.

     What type of therap

     It is VERY important however that you seek out a speech pathologist
     who is experienced with PD.

     RECENTLY A PROGRAM HAS BEEN DEVELOPED WHICH HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE
     EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE IN TREATING MANY OF THE SPEECH PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED
     WITH PD, ESPECIALLY THE LOW VOLUME VOICE.  IT IS CALLED THE "LEE
     SILVERMAN VOICE TREATMENT" (LSVT)

     The course of therapy is intensive (6 weeks, 4xs a week) But it has
     significant benefits. You can call your local hospital or rehab center
     or a local University if they have a training program in Speech
     Pathology. Be sure to ask for a speech pathologist who has experience
     with PD or one who is trained in LSVT.  If you need further info on
     how to locate a Speech Language Pathologist in your area I will be
     happy to try to help.

     Patients consistently tell me that the loss of the ability to
     communicate effectively is one of the most painful, isolating
     experiences associated with PD.  It can be helped with proper
     education, therapy and strategies. The type of therapy appropriate for
     you will depend on the type and severity of the disorder but almost
     always, some form of improvement in communication can be obtained.  If
     this is a problem for you or someone you care for, be assertive with
     your MDs.  They are not necessarily familiar with the methods
     available for assisting you.

     Linda L. D'Antonio, Ph.D.

     Loma Linda University