>     In her Personal Health column in today's New York Times, Jane
> Brody states that "one in three of Parkinson's patients will
> eventually develop Alzheimer's disease, a rate three times that found
> in the general population of elderly people."
>     Is she correct?  What is the research upon which she generalizes?
> My impression (based entirely upon hearsay, including at least one
> remark by a contributor to this list) was precisely the opposite --
> that the incidence of Alzheimers among Parkinson patients was less
> than the incidence among similarly aged members of society at large.
>                                         Richard H. Ullman

Parkinsons Disease encompasses several different types.  We have all
become very familiar with young onset PD.  There is also a Parkinsons +
syndrome which, in addition to stiffness, has dementia as a component.

I believe that we are just beginning to understand that PD can mean
different symptoms for different people.  No one can determine what
symptoms every person will experience.
------
Peace
Mary Ann