>I am writing for a friend who approached me for advice on the benefits or
>lack thereof  of NADH (Enada).  It seems that a Dr. Birkmayer is a proponent
>of such treatments.   A medline search indicates that he has published
>sparsely on the subject.  At least one small double blind study by another
>group found no significant benefit.  The only other literature I have is a
>little information which comes with the pills.  Does anyone here have any
>knowledge of the efficacy, lack of efficacy, and safety of this treatment.
>
>Don Ball

Don,

Funny you should ask! There are a few of us on the list still using NADH,
and I believe a few have tried it and discontinued. An archive search will
yield you a wealth of anecdotal testimony! I started NADH many moons ago,
was on/off for a long time, had a difficult time adjusting. At this moment I
have been using NADH continuously for 4-5 months, am up to 7.5 mgs per day,
and swear by the stuff. I finally have the approval of my neuro and a friend
who is a pharmacist, who can not deny the obvious improvement in my daily
life. My sinemet consumption has gradually been reduced to about 60% of what
I had been using, no dyskinesia, much better sleeping habits. I would say
simply that the quality of my life is improved at least 100%. That's a
pretty strong statement, but I'm serious.

I also have two friends in my local young-onset group who have been on/off
also. One apparently has determined that there are benefits he finds
worthwhile; he discontinued use for a while to compare, and has recently
resumed. The other has not done a disciplined program of use, and has
experienced negligible benefit.

My only complaint is the cost, it is expensive at the consumption level I am
at, I just started the 7.5 mg dosage and if I don't get a significant
improvement I intend to cut back to 5 mg where I am very content.

I don't know if there is comparable benefit for older or more advanced
parkys, I haven't heard anyone in that group using it. I have a feeling many
of us who use NADH do so to reduce or postpone sinemet use.

Be well!!

Kathie Tollifson