Andy Blatz has given a cogent description of the thalamic stimulation procedure.
I would say only that the procedure is considered "highly experimental" in the
U.S., but not in Europe, where it has been successfully performed for nearly
a decade; Grenoble university hospital alone has tracked close to 200 patients.

To those who asked for the information I have on Don's surgery and the journal
article that best describes it and its results, I'll have those to you next week
 .  I'm working at home until Jan. 2 because they turn off the heat in our build
 ing as part of "energy curtailment" to save the university money.

Joanne Sandstrom