Robert,

I'm no doctor, byt it seems to me that, if the Sinemet helped initially, he
should be on it if he can handle any side-effects.  Also, perhaps a
Dopamine Agonist like Permex could help; i've been on it for over a month
now and it has smoothed out my "on-off" phenomona, and given me a little
longer on-time.

In the end, it is my belief that the patient and the family have the choice
of treatment (within reason).  Perhaps you should take your father to see a
Neurologist and get a second professional opinion.

At 2:40 PM 12/22/95, DOAK Robert -EPE wrote:
>Is there any reason my eighty one year old father should not try SINEMET?
>
>My father is in the very advanced  stages of PD (type B) having been diagnosed
> with possible PSP four years ago.  He has never developed the 'gaze' symptom
> but was falling backwards.  He was put on sinemet but foolishly stopped
>after a
> month because of family pressure thinking that sinemet would cause  future
> droolling.  The  sinemet appeared to help initially but he was also getting
> good therapy in the hospital and side effects were minimal.
>
>My father is now totally disabled, speaks haltingly in a whisper, and is
>on soft
> food.
>
>His general and only physician is reluctant to start the sinemet as he doesn't
> think it would do much good!
>
>Is there a convincing argument (ie based on a pertinent study) I can use
>to sway
> the doctor?  There are
>others in the nursing home on sinemet.
>
>Thank you and a joyous Christmas season to the wonderful participants of this
> list.
>Bob

Jeffrey R. Romanyshyn, M.A, M.H. "Myth Hawk" Email: [log in to unmask]
28/Diagnosed 3yrs/Sinemet 10/100 4x/Permex .375mg 3x/Eldepyrl 5mg
1x/Rolfing (Deep Body Massage/Lift Weights-Cycle--4-5 times per week

"Summoned or not, (the) god will be present."
(motto of the Oracle at Delphi)

If you wish, please check out some of my poetry (written under the
psuedonym ROM CARPATHIAN) and other fine literary creations at:
http://www.mdle.com/jefflist.html