You wrote:

>My father-in-law (88) has been switched to Hitran (sp?). Anyone with
>experience with this?
>Also the doc told him and he had a number of tests to confirm that he
has
>spinal stenosis. Because he is on coumidon and other things they will
not
>operate. Is spinal stenosis part of the pd package? anyone with
>experience/definitions for this?
>
>Everyone have a great holiday. Eat slow, eat lots (as my
sister-in-law's
>ex-boyfriend's granmother used to say.)
>Maryellen in Omaha

Spinal stenosis is *not* "part of the PD package".  It is, however, a
common condition in older people and is characterized by back and leg
pain upon walking any distance.  It can sometimes be helped by certain
back braces, but surgery (decompressive laminectomy) is the definitive
treatment.  No one would operate on a patient who is on anticoagulants.
Why is the patient taking the Coumadin?

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"