Sherri,

The "overhead" that Kassebaum objects to refers to the administrative
costs built into the provisions for the establishment of 10 Udall
Parkinson's research centers nationwide, the Morris K. Udall Research
Excellence Awards and training grants, a national Parkinson's education
program (why do we need to educate about pd if we're going to eradicate
it?), and a national directory of Parkinson's patients.  These programs
will require administrators, and that's where the old pork comes in.  We
can argue for the usefulness of some or all of this, or suggest
streamlining the bill through amendments, but I suspect the vested
interests might then refuse to support it.  I'm just speculating on what
the problem might be.

Pat