Dear Roni:

My dad has the same delusions as your father.  He can also get rather abusive
to Mom. (He's 78, she's 73) It does make it very difficult for both of them.

First, the neurologist after trying to reduce his meds and eliminate some
of them (temporarily eliminated Permax, reduced Sinemet) concluded that it
is just the progression of the Parksinsons.  When I asked him if it could
be Alzheimers, he said it didn't really matter which it was, the PD or Alz-
heimers.

Anyway, he prescribed Risperdal.  After getting the prescription filled,
Dad decided he'd rather not take it.  FOr several weeks after that,
he did not have an episode of abusive behaviour and not too many of the
delusions. We realize he can't control this on a conscious level,but it
did make us wonder.  Then, after a bad day, he and Mom agreed that he'd
take it.  He took it for 2 or 3 nights, and seemed to sleep better, then
he stopped taking it again (Mom was afraid it was making him even more
lethargic...he sleeps alot already during the day).

He still has the delusions, but not at regular intervals like your father,
so it's hard to say if the Risperdal helped or not.

It is hard for my mother to accept outside help.  She's also afraid of
using up their savings. But she has a woman come in 4 days a week for
3 hrs. and I think it helps her alot.  Also, my brother and sister each
come one day a weekend and I help when I can (I have 2 small children so
we supply the "entertainment" when possible).

Dad also has hallucinations (or is it just paranoia?) that there are
magazine photographers in the bathroom, or just hidden cameras, among
other things.

Roni, I don't mean to make light of this at all.  It surely is hard to
see someone you love go through this.  And to see your mother have to
live with it around the clock, is just as difficult. But, as my brother
says, at least we can still share some of the lucid times, and try to
help them find some joy.  I know it's important for me to connect
with Mom at least once a day and talk to her and let her talk to me.
Almost like a mini-therapist.  I think she (and probably any caregiver
who's partner has dementia) needs to talk to other people often, to
stay sane themselves.

I've had an idea which I haven't carried out.  I thought it might be helpful
to visit a list such as ours for Alzheimers or perhaps even a support group,
to see how those people deal with the dementia when the patient becomes
difficult or abusive.  If and when I do this, I will report to the list
anything I learn.

If I've left anything out, let me know.

Best of luck to you and your mom and dad.

Betti Adams [log in to unmask]