As some have written, PD has numerous mimics with similar symptoms, depend-
ing on just which part of the brain is affected, and the best way to
diagnose is to try different drugs to see what works. If levodopa (Sinemet)
works, you may as well assume it is PD. If it doesn't, well, tough. The
profession used to think that Lewy bodies (microscopic tangles in the cells
found postmortem) were pathognomonic, but now they don't. Similarly, they
say that Essential Tremor is frequently misdiagnosed as PD, but nobody
seems to know what ET really is. A priority goal for future research is to
find a definite 'biomarker' of PD. The importance of this is that in
controlled trials of say, a new drug, effects could be better evaluated if
participants who didn't really have PD could be eliminated. So far, the
definitive biomarker for PD has been elusive.

Cheers and season's greetings, Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks CA 91403