To All:

I have not started my holiday cards.  I thought I would take this opportunity
to express my feelings about this list service and to you its members.  I
have been a member since Jan 94.  In those two years a lot of advise has been
shared by members talking to members.  All year we share with each other.
 After two years of reading introductions and issues of the membership I
thought I would tire reading similar stories, similar problems and similar
advice.  The fact is, I do not tire reading the daily messages.  I actually
look forward to reading the previous day's messages.  Writing one's story is
a most therapeutic activity for the writer.  I also find it therapeutic for
me to read your stories.  It still hits home that we are not alone.

I have heard medical professionals in the PD community comment that "much"
misinformation is spread on this list service.  I think after two years those
people have changed their opinion.  I think one fear has come true: we are
all better informed and thus are making better decisions in regards to our
Parkinson's problems.  I do not believe these decisions are being made
without consulting our physicians where necessary.  I have always felt that a
good physician would welcome information learned by their patients. After
all, we are the customer.

Reading the introductions and issues presented on this service, I would say
there is at least as much if not more misinformation being given out by the
medical community.  At least on the list service it is understood that any
significant variation in medication schedule or other changes are to be
checked with one's doctor.  That may or may not be a safety net.  I would
like to think this server is the safety net when doctors go wrong.  If there
is one thing I have learned on this server, it is question everything.  Know
and understand why.  It is my right and responsibility.  I have never felt
that the server membership knowingly provided misleading information.

The one service this group does provide is the "anecdotal observation."  This
is normally thought to be non-scientific.  Recently I was browsing a
scientific medical journal and found many articles that had one observation
in the scientific data.  It must make a difference who observes.  This is
another whole issue.

I want to thank each of you who have participated in this server.  We have
all benefited by your openness and willingness to speak your mind.  I hope
you will continue to do so. As for the lurkers, please join in.  What you say
is important to you.  We all recognize this.  There is no such thing as a
stupid question.  I invite everyone to send a message in the new year.  We
need to hear from you.

1995 was a year of change for me.  I saw a good friend die of PSP early in
the year and just a few days ago, another died of PD / AD combination. I know
more will meet the same fate in 1996.  It would be wonderful if this coming
year would be the year for major scientific break-through - maybe even a
cure.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if there wasn't a need for this list server?

I know the work that Barbara Patterson puts in to keep this service alive.
 It  is appreciated, Barbara.  Speaking for the membership, a special thanks
to you from all of us.

I wish each of you a Prosperous, Healthy and Happy New Year.

Regards,
Alan Bonander
Age 55, starting 12th year, liquid meds, pallidotomy