In a reply letter Mary Ann sent me recently, she mentioned that because
of her husband Jamie's, dangerously high blood pressure, he doesn't have
the horrible adverse reaction to Sinement's hypotensive side effects and
that perhaps that's why he's able to continue to work etc. It occurred
to me then, that perhaps by adding a med to *raise* the BP of people who
are on Sinemet it would elevate not only their BP but their quality of
life as well??? I'm sending the following excerpts from messages
between Mary Ann and me in the hope that perhaps something beneficial
will come out of it.

MA>........His BP is dangerously high, which means that he doesn't have
MA> the adverse reaction to Sinemet's hypotensive side effects. Perhaps
MA> that is why he can continue to work.

HN> When I first read what you wrote (above) it occurred to me that
HN> maybe there's some medical 'tip' to be found in it. If indeed the
HN> *low* BP triggered by Sinemet  (and perhaps other  meds?) users,
HN>  exacerbates the PD, perhaps *elevating* the  BP would enhance
HN> quality of life? Mary Ann, wouldn't it be *wonderful* if 'we're' on
HN>  to something? Love to hear from you re

MA> I have told every doctor that we have come in contact with about
MA>the exacerbation of PD that occurs when my husband takes too
MA> much anti-hypertensive medication.  They look at me like I'm crazy.

MA> We finally have doctors that listen.
MA> Sinemet plummets blood pressure.  Jamies uses it as part of his
MA> BP regime.  Doctors are supposed to recognize that. I began to
MA>appreciate Sinemet as a BP drug when I noticed that my PD patients,
MA> almost without exception, had to quit work because they kept
MA> passing out even though their other PD symptoms were less severe
MA> than my husbands.

I hope with all my heart that perhaps there is something helpful
in the above. :-) Wouldn't that be a WONDERFUL start to the New Year!

Happy, Healthy New Year to All!

Helen Spence  ([log in to unmask])