>I have a friend who has just acquired a permanent position as a
>technical writer.  Among other things, she's writing online manuals
>and help menus for new computer programs.  She's interested in finding
>resources on the Internet or the Web that will help her do her job --
>not directed so much at teaching and scholarship _about_ technical
>writing, but at the practice _of_ it.  I'm at a loss for suggestions,
>but it occurred to me there might be lots of people on the CASLL list
>with connections in that area.

Hi Russ,

You might suggest to your friend that she try the Society of Technical
Communication's (STC) web site: <http://www.clark.net/pub/stc/www> .  STC
is the main professional organization in North America for technical
writers.  Also, there is the California Polytecnic's Resources for
Technical Communicators  (<http://www.calpoly.edu/~techcomm/>) as well as
the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute's Resources for Technical
Communicators (<http://www.rpi.edu/~perezc2/tc/>).
Finally, she might also try some of the training and development web sites
and listservs. A good place to start would be  the Training and Development
page (<http://www.iconode.ca/trdev/>) or the homepage for the Training and
Development listserv
(<http://milkman.cac.psu.edu./~dlp/TRDEV/trdev-l.html>).

Hope this helps,
Patrick

English, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC