Henry & I are faced with an intriguing situation here at
UCC:  as our university-college begins to separate ties
with its affiliated university (we currently offer the
UBC BA; next year we will offer our own BA, BSC, BBA, etc.)
we've begun the process of reevaluating requirements
for our program.
There's a proposal on the table to eliminate the 2nd-year
English requirement and reduce the first-year requirement
to a single semester of composition instruction.  The
argument presented goes something like this:  we need a
social sciences methods course & thus the 2nd year English
must be bumped; and, according to one economist on the BA
committee, she can't see any difference between those students
with and those without instruction in English.  She (and
apparently others on the committee) are asking for studies
that show the effectiveness of English literature & composition
instruction.  Do any of you know of such studies?  Have
you experienced a similar review of (attack on?) English studies
within your own institutions?  Any advice?

Many thanks,   Will

                               ___________
| W.F. Garrett-Petts          | ._  ___________  English & Mod. Languages |
| [log in to unmask]         |._  |  +  =  o  | 900 College Drive        |
| fax 604/828-5086        __________________   | UCC,  Box 3010           |
| voice 604/828-5248     |                  |  : Kamloops, B.C. V2C 5N3